The following support services are offered to LGBTI asylum seekers and refugees in the UK in partnership with Micro Rainbow International thanks to a team of dedicated volunteers. The MRI Foundation does not have any salaried staff.
For further information on these support services, on how to access them or any other information please email us at email@example.com
The foundation can:
- offer one-to-one emotional support to LGBTI asylum seekers and refugees who are homeless or struggling with accommodation
- assist with accessing Universal Credit and NASS support
- refer eligible LGBTI asylum seekers and refugees to MRI’s safe housing program subject to the availability of beds
Social inclusion programme
- On-to-one support: for vulnerable LGBTI asylum seekers and refugees. If you want to come along for a coffee and chat, we can make an appointment for you. This service does not give legal asylum advice, although we can emotionally support you while going through the asylum process. Please email us to make an appointment.
- Sista Sista: a monthly peer support group for LBT women including those who have suffered from Gender Based Violence. The outcome is to reclaim the mind and body
- Weather the Storm: A weekly peer support group for LGBTI asylum seekers and refugees. The emphasis of this group is using creative expression to overcome stigma and isolation, including:
- Choir: meets for 24 weeks out of the year. The outcome is to reduce isolation, have fun and make connections with other community groups.
- Dancing with Fearghus, an internationally acclaimed choreographer. A stress buster and working with music and the body as a feel-good factor.
- Theatre Workshops: we use theatre exercises and role play to work through daily difficult situations and build on our strengths and resources
Economic inclusion programme
- Employability Workshops: we work with various partners, including the private sector, to provide workshops around CV writing and interview skills.
- Small Business: we offer tailored support to those LGBTI refugees who dreams of setting up a small business in the UK. If you have an idea for a business, please contact us.
- Computer skills: we have a pool of volunteers to help people to gain basic computer skills.
- Life Coaching: we offer refugee 6 -10 life coaching sessions to reconcile life after claiming asylum. Discuss with a professional how to step forward and realise your dreams. Subject to available funding.
Emergency relief programme
One of the foundation objects is “The promotion of social inclusion amongst LGBTI people for the public benefit by preventing LGBTI people from becoming socially excluded and relieving the needs of those who are socially excluded”.
In exceptional circumstances the MRI Foundation will:
- Offer LGBTI asylum seekers and refugees in need financial support of up to £20 (for example to buy food, medicines or to travel to attend key meetings)
- Pay for emergency accommodation for up to one week
Please note the foundation does not accept requests for emergency support. The foundation has very limited resources which are allocated to individuals in emergency situations who are identified directly by the foundation.